Portrait of Andrzej Zaluski
- Portrait of Andrzej Zaluski
- Date of creation
- 18th c.
- oil painting
- canvas oil
- Dimensions (height x width, cm)
- 80.5 x 64
- the Rzewuski collection (Pidhirtsi Castle)
Information about author
Andrzej Stanislaw Zaluski (1695–1758) received the priesthood in 1708, canon of Krakow, bishop of Lutsk, Chelmno, Krakow, Great Crown Chancellor, doctor of sciences. He was engaged in charity work and together with his brother Jozef Andrzej created the Zaluski library, the first public library in the country. The portrait of Zaluski is mentioned in the collection of the Pidhirtsi castle in 1768, at that time it was located in the dining hall. It was also mentioned in 1812–1813, 1858, 1859 and 1887. In the 1939 inventory, the portrait was moved to the Yellow Room. A half-length image of a bishop in clerical clothes is displayed on a neutral background: a cross with a crucifix is hanging on his chest, on a wide blue ribbon you can see the Order of the White Eagle, which he received in 1738. The early 18th-century portraits were mainly painted by the artists with a high artistic culture of painting, who mastered both composition and realistic drawing. All that helped the artist to go deeper into the inner world of the portrayed person and concentrate mainly on the face, which can be clearly seen in this work.
- The name of the person portrayed
- Andrzej Stanislaw Zaluski
- Lifetime of the person portrayed