Portrait of Jozef Lopuski
Information about author
Jozef Lopuski – swordsman and elder of Chelm. The portrait was mentioned in the inventory of Pidhirtsi Castle starting from 1768, when it was located in the chapel and, from the 19th century until 1939, it hung in the dining hall. The half–length image shows a man, turned three–quarter to the right, dressed in a red zupan and olive caftan, girded with a Slutsk belt. In the first half of the 18th century, the role of burghers increased considerably, which led to the emergence of the portraits of the bourgeoisie. The half–length portrait by an unknown artist is typical for 18th–century chamber paintings, which are characterized by an ennobled portrayal of a person. Ukrainian art historian V. Ovsiichuk attributed the authorship to Hiacintus Olesinski, court painter of Wacław Rzewuskii, who was born in Humniska. In the nineteenth century, the portrait was partially redrawn. The inscription on the front of the work reads: Miecżnik Chelmski Lopuski. On the reverse: Miecżnik Chelmski / Ablegat do Hana-.
- The name of the person portrayed
- Jozef Lopuski