Information about author
The work was created during the artist's second stay in Paris between 1911 and 1912. One can see a fragment of Paris on a rainy evening. The corner of the Comedie-Francaise building with a sculpture on a pedestal is depicted in the foreground. Many ceremoniously dressed men in black trench coats, white scarves, and with top hats on their heads, as well as a few women gathered near the theater, probably for the premiere. The silhouettes of houses are barely visible in the fog in the background. The composition is performed in dimmed gray tones. The artist focused on the orange lanterns near the sculpture and light vertical stripes glistening on the top hats. The Comedie-Francaise emerged in the 17th century. At the end of the 18th century, it was located in the building attached to the Royal Palace (Palais Royal). It is the only state-funded theater in Paris.
In the lower left corner there is a place of creation of the work and the author's signature “Odo Dobrowolski / 911 Paryż Komedya francuzka” in italics.