Portrait of Waclaw Rzewuski
Information about author
Waclaw Rzewuski (1706–1779) was a Field Clerk of the Crown, Field Hetman of the Crown, and voivode of Krakow. He was a son of Stanislaw Mateusz Rzewuski, Field Herman of the Crown, and Ludwika Kunicka. Waclaw Rzewuski was the owner of the Pidhirtsi Castle since 1735. According to the inventory records of the Pidhirtsi Castle from 1768 till 1939, the painting was located in the Dining Hall. The waist-length portrait depicts Waclaw Rzewuski in the official canonical pose turned three-quarters to the left. There is a mace in his hand and a blue ribbon of the Order of the White Eagle over his left shoulder, which he received in 1735. The man is depicted in a ceremonial red kontusz with carefully drawn folds on the sleeves and decorative buttons painted in detail. The artist focused on the face of the man portrayed, professionally reproducing the portrait features of Waclaw Rzewuski, namely a high shaved forehead with a fashionable hairstyle, straight nose, curled mustache, and large wide-open eyes with a pensive and purposeful look. The portrait is characterized by a rich range of colors.
- The name of the person portrayed
- Waclaw Rzewuski
- Lifetime of the person portrayed