Portrait of Franciszek Maksymilian Ossolinski
Information about author
Franciszek Maksymilian Ossolinski (c. 1676–1756) was the Grand Treasurer of the Crown, Polish nobleman, politician, diplomat, and patron of the arts. He was a son of Maksymilian Ossolinski and Teodora Krassowska. In 1756, he became a cavalier of the Order of the White Eagle. In the inventory records of the Pidhirtsi Castle, the portrait was mentioned in 1768, between 1812 and 1813, in 1859, 1887, and 1939. It was located in the Dining Hall then. The portrait was painted in 1756, exactly the same year when Franciszek Maksymilian Ossolinski was awarded with the Order of the White Eagle. Judging by the set of attributes such as knight's armor, spectacular red drapery and awards, one can assume that the portrait was made according to European artistic tradition, in particular the French one. Franciszek Ossolinski is depicted in a solemn pose, metal armor, and with a blue ribbon of the Order of the White Eagle. There is a big white wig on his head, which was worn by men following European fashion. On the back of the painting there is an inscription: "... Ossolinski podsk…".
- The name of the person portrayed
- Franciszek Maksymilian Ossolinski
- Lifetime of the person portrayed