Portrait of Ludwika Eleonora Rzewuska
Information about author
Ludwika Eleonora Rzewuska (?–1749) was a daughter of Kaspar Kunicki, a deputy cup-bearer (podczaszy) of Chernihiv, and Marianna Benewska. In 1694, Ludwika Rzewuska became a second wife of Stanislaw Mateusz Rzewuski, Field Crown Hetman. She was a mother of Waclaw Rzewuski, the owner of the castle in Pidhirtsi. The half-length image of a woman is depicted slightly turned. She is clothed in a dress with lace. On her head, there is a fashionable silvery wig with curly locks, which fall to her chest. The author mainly focused on the woman’s face. From the end of the 17th century, portraits of noblewomen were painted in line with the standards of European art. Similarly, traditional clothing was replaced by French fashionable garments. The composition and the colors of the portrait correspond to European Baroque painting, which was rapidly entering Ukrainian art at that time. The bust-length image of the woman is presented in the tradition of secular portrait painting of the 18th century, being devoid of static and full of expression.
- The name of the person portrayed
- Ludwika Eleonora Rzewuska
- Lifetime of the person portrayed