Church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris
Information about author
The work was performed during the artist's second stay in Paris between 1911 and 1912. The Paris temple is depicted in winter. A special place in the artist's work is taken by the winter city architectural views. In the center of the composition there is a temple with two towers in the style of Classicism. The building of the fountain (Fountain of the Four Bishops) is depicted as a light spot in front of it. Horse-drawn carriages lined up near the facade of the building: presumably, the wedding of the newlyweds is taking place in the temple. The tall buildings of "Ottoman" Paris are depicted in the background. The Church of Saint-Sulpice (Église Saint-Sulpice) is a church in central Paris, near the Luxembourg Garden. It has been known since the 12th century. It got its modern look in 1870. Victor Hugo was married in this church.
In the lower left corner there is a place of the creation of the painting and the author's signature “Odo Dobrowolski / 911 Paryż” in italics. On the right – the title of the work “St. Sulpice”. On the back there is a stamp “Państwowe zbiory sztuki” and stamps of numbers.