Bernardine Church in Lviv
Information about author
This is one of ten works from the series of lithographs with the views of Lviv during the Russian occupation in the winter of 1915. The Bernardine Church with a bell tower is depicted from the west, from Halytska Square, where the ensemble is best viewed. However, the author chose such a perspective in which the main compositional element is the bell tower, while the column of St. Jan from Dukla is not visible at all. The square in front of the church is empty; the block of the church is accentuated only by the orange light of a street lantern in front of the facade. The light in the windows of the houses adjacent to the bell tower accentuates its volume. The work is performed in dimmed gray tones. Both the snow and the sky are depicted blackened.
In the lower left corner there is the author's signature and date “Оdo Dobrowolski / 915” written in italics.