Church of Saint-Severin in Paris
Information about author
The work was performed during the first (1908–1909) or second (1911–1912) artist’s stay in Paris. The young painter depicted the oldest spiritual center of students in Europe, namely the Church of Saint-Severin in the Latin Quarter of Paris. In the foreground of the composition, one can see the northern facade of the Church with two sacristies (from St. Severin Street). In the background and in the center there is the majestic bell tower of the Church with a pointy finishing. The work is performed in dimmed ocher and brown tones, so one of the characteristic accents is the white light of a lantern on the facade of the house that is situated in front of the church. The Church of Saint-Severin is one of the most famous churches in Paris. The beginning of its construction dates back to the 13th century. It is located in the historic center of Paris, in front of the City Island.
In the lower left corner there is the author's signature and date of performance “Paryż/ Odo Dobrowolski” written in italics.