Lviv. Schneider's Cafe
Information about author
This is one of the artist's earliest works that was performed before his trips to Paris. This is the last image of the cafe before it was closed in 1907. This is the foreground composition, which depicts the corner of the former Schneider's building in Akademichna Street, 7 in Lviv. To the right there is an arched window on a rusticated wall; above it there is a balcony. To the left there is a metal fence, behind which one can see the tables under the awning of the cafe. In the color scheme, the artist contrasts the planes performed in black Indian ink against the light watercolor tones, showing bright sunlight on the southern facade of the house. Schneider's House and Cafe is a historic building on Akademichna Street, 7 (Taras Shevchenko Avenue) in Lviv that existed until 1912. It was dismantled for the construction of a new building (the second house of Jonasz Sprecher). Schneider's Cafe was closed in 1907. It was popular among Lviv's artistic elite.
In the lower right part of the work there is an inscription “Kawiarnia Schneidera/ Odo Dobr 07” written in italics.