Bernardine Church Depicted From the East
- Odo Dobrowolski
- Bernardine Church Depicted From the East
- Date of creation
- paper on cardboard pastel
- Dimensions (height x width, cm)
- 52 x 48
- graphic art
Information about author
The work was performed in the winter of 1914. The artist presented a view of the ancient monastery complex shown to the west from the beginning of Lychakivska Street. The artist depicted the city architectural view in the late evening. The upper part of the former monastery building and the roof of the apse of the Bernardine Church open above the jagged wall of the fire house (later dismantled). Above, against the background of a cloudy sky, which is barely illuminated by the last rays of the setting sun, stand out the eastern pediment of the nave of the church and the high bell tower. On the left, in the foreground there are the walls of the former monastery of the Sisters of the Poor Clares; the light of a lone street lamp draws the viewer’s attention to the walls. The movement of the horse-drawn carriage on the snow-covered street enlivens the landscape. The work is performed in dark and intense tones.
In the lower right corner there is the author's signature, place of creation, and date “O Dobrowolski Lwów/ 914” written in italics.