Portrait of Seweryn Rzewuski
- the Rzewuski-Lanckoronski collection (Rozdil Castle)
Information about author
Seweryn Jozef Rzewuski (?–1754) was a nobleman, Polish statesman and politician, Grand Deputy Cup-Bearer of the Crown, a voivode of Volyn, and elder of Chelm and Luboml. He was awarded with the Order of the White Eagle. Seweryn Rzewuski was a son of Stanislaw Mateusz Rzewuski and Ludwika Eleonora Kunicka. In 1739, he became a founder of the Church of Capuchin Friars in Olesko. Starting from the end of the 17th century till the beginning of the 18th century, many examples of representative magnate and noble portraits were preserved. At that time, it was popular to have full-length portraits in palace halls of rich magnate residences, such as Pidhirtsi, Rozdil, Berezhany, Zhovkva, and others. These were mostly works made by provincial artists. The portrait of Seweryn Rzewuski belongs to such works. The young man is shown against the background of the red draperia and coat of arms. He is depicted in full length and in a solemn pose. One of his hands is on his belt, the other one is on the hilt of a saber. The man is dressed in knightly armor with a blue ribbon of the Order of the White Eagle. In the upper corner of the painting there is an inscription: "Seweryn na Olesku Rzewuski Woiewoda Woeynski Umart 1755".
- The name of the person portrayed
- Seweryn Jozef Rzewuski
- Lifetime of the person portrayed